As I’m writing this tonight, I’m feeling the usual bout of homesickness that comes with being across the country from my family.
So, I decided to write down a list of things that’ll make you feel less homesick for the people out there going through it. Here goes…
- Talk to your family. As simple as it sounds, just chatting with them and catching up helps, since you feel like you’re almost home in a way. Plus they might send you cute hug stickers.
- Hang out with your friends on campus, it takes your mind off home. Plus, I have some friends who also get pretty homesick so we support each other.
- Go for a walk. Get some coffee, wander around town, walk somewhere as long as you get fresh air. It’ll clear your head.
- Get some comfort food. If there’s one food that always reminds you of home or makes you feel better, treat yourself.
- Watch your favorite movie or TV show. It also takes your mind off being homesick, and bonus if it makes you laugh. Plus with comfort food, it makes a good night.
- If you have a special object from home, grab it. I personally keep a bunch of cards that I’ve gotten from family and I reread them when I’m down.
- Go do something! Find a special lecture, event, go to the pub, something that’ll get you out of your room. Again, it keeps your mind from only focusing on home.
- Have a dance party! Blast your favourite tunes for a while to cheer you up.
- Get creative. Doodle, colour, play music, write, whatever your thing is. Personally, I like combining this with blasting my music.
- Do your schoolwork. As weird as it sounds, I’ve sometimes found immersing myself in a project or paper helps.
- If all else fails, let yourself feel your emotions, even if it involves crying. It helps release all your feelings, and it’s nothing to be ashamed of.
I hope these suggestions help any of my readers out there experiencing homesickness, and that you get back to feeling fantastic like the great people you are.