This is part of a series of posts about surviving a university course. You can find the first two posts here.
As the semester progresses, it can sometimes be a bit of juggling act to get everything done, and done well. Not to mention, early classes start to feel even earlier as the semester progresses…
Here are some of my tips for things you should try and do during the semester so that things go as smoothly as possible!
- Try to be on time and with all your materials. Don’t be that annoying constantly late person or pen borrower.
- Come to class with a mindset to work. Even if you don’t really like the course, you’ll get more out of it if you put in an effort.
- Take notes! Even if they’re messy, they might contain an important test answer later on.
- Do your assignments, on time preferably. That way you’ll know the material better and you won’t lose marks for handing things in late. If you do need an extension for any reason, try to ask for one sooner rather than later from your prof.
- If you miss a class, try to get notes from friends to catch up. Only ask your prof for notes if you missed a lot of classes or have tried friends and online notes first.
- GO TO OFFICE HOURS. Your prof is there to help you with questions or to help you out with assignments. Plus if they know you, it’ll be easier to ask for references or extensions later on.
- Try to keep up with course material. You’ll probably fall a bit behind at some point, but try your best to keep up or set aside time to catch up if you’re really behind.
- Keep an eye on your grades so you know how you’re doing. This will help you going into midterms or finals and with deciding if you might want to drop a course.
- If your course load is too heavy or you’re doing really badly in a course, don’t be afraid to drop classes. However, it’s better to decide that before course drop deadlines.
- Take a break. Sometimes, the best thing to do when you’re overwhelmed by work is to take a hour or two for yourself. An episode of your favourite series or a nap might be the special ingredient to boost your productivity sky high.
What do you guys do during the semester to keep your grades up? Leave a comment down below!