These last few months have passed by in the blur of assignments, newspaper articles, and all the fun events of the last year of my undergrad. So, please excuse my prolonged absence in light of all the running around I’ve been doing this semester.
I wanted to make a quick post about some of the awesome things that have happened in my life in 2018, since it’s been a wild ride to say the least. So, without further ado, here’s some of what I’ve done this year!
- I worked for the campus newspaper for the second year in a row. Being a student journalist has taught me many lessons about good writing, made me more curious about the world, and allowed me to work alongside many talented individuals. I’m excited for my last semester with the paper in 2019, especially since I’m going to a journalism conference in January. (You can find my newspaper articles here.)
- I moved off campus and loved it. Since April, I’ve lived in both an old courthouse and my current house with my two lovely roommates. I like having the distance from campus and my own space, plus having two other people around makes living off campus pretty lively.
- Had my first research job. I never would’ve thought that I would enjoy doing research into Canadian fishery policy and the associations that are involved in it, but I did. I’m glad for the experience, since I learned some valuable lessons about politics in Canada along with how to motivate myself to get work done independently.
- Got two tattoos. I’ll be writing more about my experience with those soon, but it was truly awesome to get matching tattoos with my family as well as a tattoo I’ve wanted for several years.
- Received my X-ring, which is a ring awarded to graduating students at my university. It is meant to connect you to fellow alumni and represents the effort you’ve put into earning your degree. However, the most important part to me was celebrating the achievement with the friends I’ve made at university and my mom, who made the trip out to Nova Scotia for the event.
- Invested more in my personal wellbeing. This year, I’ve been trying to eat better, drink more water, and focus on my mental health a bit more. I’ve made some progress, and I’d like to bring those habits with me into the new year and develop others that make me happier and healthier.
- Spent time with family and friends. I’ve loved the time I’ve spent with my family and close friends back in Alberta, especially since I haven’t been home for most of this year. However, I’ve also cherished all the shenanigans that I’ve gotten up to with my friends at university, since that has made living away from home all the better.
- My family got a new dog, named Bandit. I didn’t get to meet the ball of energy until winter break, but I’m happy to say he’s already stolen my heart. He’s only two, which means he has tons of energy to play and get into trouble, but his cute face makes you forgive him for anything instantly.
And that about wraps up what I’ve been up to this year! What are some of the things you’ve accomplished and/or want to accomplish next year? Let me know in the comments!