Today’s post was a bit hard to make, since my biggest hobby is currently writing, either on here or for my campus newspaper. However, I do two of my hobbies that I’d like to share with you today.
One of my hobbies is drawing. I’ve always had an artistic side, and I’ve experimented over the years with a lot of different forms of art. However, I’ve drawn or doodled since I got interested in cartooning when I was young. These days, I mostly draw in the margins of my notebooks, but I also like sitting down and drawing every now and again. The sketch below is one of the better ones that I’ve done of late, even though you can tell I went over it later on.
Another one of my hobbies is baking, but only when I have time now. I like getting creative with designs on cakes or cupcakes, and experimenting with flavours. I made the cupcakes below the last time I was home, and I’m really happy with how the swirled blue and white icing came out.
What are some of your hobbies? Let me know in the comments, and I might check out one of them!
I didn’t get up to anything too exciting today, as it is a workday for me. But that’s what it’s like in the life of a research assistant.
I slept in a little this morning since I didn’t have any meetings, and then I ate breakfast and went through my emails and notifications. After that, I started to get some work done. I’m currently reading a book on Canadian fisheries policy and taking notes on certain things that are useful for the project I’m working on.
I worked most of the day, with a break for coffee and lunch of course. I decided to work on my blog later in the afternoon, mostly doing some editing and behind the scenes work. I also tend to write some 30 Day Challenge posts in advance, since I can’t always write a post the day it goes up. Luckily, I got to edit my blog in my reading nook, which is one of my favourite places to work.
Last but not least, I’m just about to cook dinner, which involves roasting a bunch of veggies and making some meatballs. After that, I plan to relax the rest of the night, which might mean reading a bit or putting on a movie.
What are some of the things you did today? Let me know in the comments!
There are a lot of things that make me feel better when I’m down, so I figured I’d share a bunch of them with you today.
So, here are some of the things I do to take care of myself on an off day:
- Listen to music: I find listening to music helps me get out of my head, so I’ve made a few Spotify playlists that I listen to when I need a bit of a boost.
- Eat something: Sometimes the reason why I’m in a bad mood is I haven’t eaten, so I always find it helpful to eat something. It doesn’t always have to be healthy food, since sometimes you just want to eat a bunch of pizza.
- Taking a shower or bath: Taking a long soak or having a really long hot shower always helps me. It’s soothing, and the heat helps you relax and release tension.
- Talking to friends/family: I’m lucky to have an awesome group of friends and family, who I can reach out to when life’s a bit rough.
- Cleaning: As weird as it sounds, doing the dishes or cleaning can really help. It allows you to take out some frustration on the dirtiest dishes, but also makes your space a relaxing environment.
- Watch your favourite movie or TV show: I like putting on shows or movies that I’ve seen a lot since they’re comforting, or choosing a sillier show like Bob’s Burgers or Brooklyn 99 to cheer me up.
- Coloring: Yes, I’m an adult that likes colouring books. It’s really soothing to just concentrate on it, and you can get some pretty cool colouring books that are for particular shows or have swear words in them.
- Playing games on my phone: I’ve recently added some games to my phone, which not only cure boredom, but also help me relax. I highly recommend Monument Valley, it’s got a soothing soundtrack and requires a lot of concentration.
What are some of the things that make you feel better on a bad day? Let me know in the comments!
Love, to me at least, is a concept that doesn’t have one particular definition, since there are many types of love and many qualities of (good) love.
However, if I had to, I would define love as an emotional and/or physical bond between individuals. This includes bonds between family, friends, and significant others.
I believe that love has certain qualities that distinguishes it from other things. Love brings people together in the best and worst of times in life, but it also has the power to cause great harm. If you can truly expect someone to in your life no matter what, then that embodies an element of love.
Love also involves elements of respect and trust for me. Those who love you should respect your opinions and what you do with your life, but in a way that is constructive to make you a better person. They should also be loyal, and not willing to disclose all your secrets or cheat on you on a whim.
Anyways, I could write an essay about what love is and is not, so I’ll stop here before I start philosophizing all day. If you’d like to see more of my thoughts about love, you can always check out my writing posts under the love category.
Do you agree with my definition of love? Leave me a comment below with your thoughts!
I don’t really have favourite drinks, but these are a few of the ones that you’ll likely see me order a lot or drink a lot.
So, here are five of my favourite drinks!
- Coffee: I don’t think I could survive without my morning coffee every day. I’m fond of mochas, but I mostly just drink regular coffee with some cream and sugar.
- Tea: This is my go to hot drink during the evening, or if I’m feeling sick. I drink my tea black, since I tend to drink a lot of herbal teas like peppermint and chamomile tea.
- Rum and Coke: This is my favourite alcoholic drink, so it’s usually what I drink when I go out. I usually prefer spiced rum or darker rums as well.
- Mango Tangerine juice: I don’t drink a ton of juice these days, but this is my favourite one by far. It’s really good for mixing into smoothies as well.
- Arizona Iced Tea: This is a summer staple for me, and it’s one of the best brands for iced tea. I usually get the green tea with ginseng and honey, it’s delicious.
What are some of your favourite drinks? Drop me a comment and let me know!
This picture is something pretty to me because of the peace it conveys. It was taken early in the morning when everything seems quiet and peaceful, and I think it really shows in the photo. It’s nice to be able to have those moments of peace when our daily lives are complex and always busy.
This photo is also pretty to me since I love being near the water, especially near harbours with nice boats. It was one of those unique opportunities to catch a lot of the sailboats before they were out and about, which was awesome.
Plus, Nova Scotia is just pretty in general. This was taken in Lunenburg, while my family and I were waiting to take a trip on the Bluenose II. The small community feeling and connection to traditional industries and nature embodies some of the things I’ve really appreciated while living out here. It’s definitely a corner of Canada that is special to me, and I’ll always take a bit of it with me wherever I go.
What’s something pretty you’ve seen recently? Drop me a comment, and I love to see pictures too!
One of my favourite places that isn’t in Canada is London. I’ve been lucky enough to travel there twice already, and every time I fall a bit more in love with the city. It’s one of those places that always has something new for you to discover, and it’s an interesting mix of old and new.
So, I thought I’d share some of my pictures from my trip(s) to London today, including some of my favourite parts of the city, in order to show off my favourite place.
Buckingham Palace. Fun fact, this was taken on the day Prince George was born!
Details on the outside of Westminster Abbey.
Traitors Gate, at the Tower of London.
The Thames, looking towards the Shard and HMS Belfast.
The British Museum. I love the ceiling and could spend days in here.
Let me know what your favourite places are in the comments, and if you’ve been to London, let me know what your favourite thing you saw there was!
I think that being an adult means you always have a couple of worries in the back of your mind. I’m sure at any point I’m worrying about work, school, the future, etc as background noise.
What I’m currently worrying about is mostly school related. I have to choose my courses fairly soon for my 4th year, which means spending a few hours sighing exasperatedly over the course timetable. It’s really hard to juggle two majors with two sets of requirements when they like to schedule things at similar times.
The other school related worry I have right now is to do with pursuing a Masters degree. I’ve been doing research about grad schools and programs recently, which is always stressful. At this point, I’m fairly certain university websites are supposed to be confusing and send you down several rabbit holes until you find the information you actually need.
However, even if I’m worrying about school, I know it will all turn out for the best in the end. After all, I’ve got a few years of university under my belt, and a great support system that will help me with whatever I need.
Are you worried about anything at the moment? Drop me a comment, and I might be able to give you some advice!
I didn’t wear anything too fancy today, since I have a lot of errands to run and work to do.
Today I decided to go with a plain black t-shirt and Old Navy Jeans that have been cuffed at the bottom. I also threw on some black flats when I headed out to complete the outfit.
I did my makeup as well today, with a brown and light pink eyeshadow look and some coral lipstick.
Last but not least, I’m using this beautiful bag from Bentley to carry around everything I need today.
What’s your go to spring outfit, or what did you wear today? Let me know in the comments!
Picking five shows is really difficult for me, since I basically adopt new shows weekly. But, here are five shows that I either watch constantly or I’m a big fan of.
- Gilmore Girls: I never watched the show growing up, but it’s become one of my favourites in the last couple of years. I relate a lot to the show, especially Rory’s college years lately since I’m at that part of my life right now. I highly recommend it, especially if you’re looking for a quiet night in.
- Sense8: I’m annoyed that this show only got a 2-hour finale after they ended Season 2 on a cliffhanger, but I still love it to death. I always notice something new when I rewatch it, and it conveys so many life lessons as well. If you’re looking for a show that’s incredibly diverse, has LGBTQ representation, and has a positive outlook, please check it out.
- A Series of Unfortunate Events: Huge kudos for Netflix producing this show in a way that respects the book series, unlike the Jim Carrey movie. If you like mysteries, breaking the 4th wall, and sarcasm, this is the show for you. It looks like it should be a kids show, but it’s so much more.
- Camp Camp: This is an animated show produced by Roosterteeth, which you can find on their website or YouTube. It’s about a summer camp, with a whole cast of quirky characters. I’m sure that if you went to summer camp, or were a Girl Guide or Boy Scout, you’ll be able to easily relate to the show.
- Outlander: This show is one of my favourites since it’s loosely based on history, with fantasy elements and a really interesting story. Plus, there’s the Scottish aspect of the show along with Jamie and Claire’s romance that’ll keep you hooked. It just got renewed for a couple of seasons, which is fantastic.
What are some of your favourite shows? Drop me a comment below and I’ll check some of them out!