This post is part of a series about surviving a university course. You can find the rest of the posts here.
Since the busy crunch time is coming up for most university students, I figured I’d share a few of my study tips to help make it more manageable.
So, without further ado, here they are!
- Make your notes work for your learning style. Rewrite them, highlight them, draw giant information webs, whatever works best for you. Don’t be afraid to experiment with different methods!
- Don’t over study, since it can be just as bad as understudying. This is when it’s crucial to know if your professor only needs you to know certain course material, or if you’re expected to know everything from the course and more.
- Have a good study space or workspace. Either off or on campus, find a quiet space that lets you get your work done with the least distractions.
- Take breaks and reward yourself during long study sessions. No matter if it’s a walk, stretching, a food or coffee break, it’ll help you retain facts in the long run.
- Eat and drink things to keep you going during study time. Hopefully, you choose healthy food, but sometimes you need some chocolate or comfort food.
- Keep your things organized to make studying easier and avoid losing important papers. If you take a few minutes every day to put papers from class where they belong, you’ll be so much better off for the stressful times of the semester.
- Find an interactive way to study. Flash cards, fill-in-the-blanks, or practice tests are very useful. Remember, studying with friends might be interactive if you’re quizzing each other, but it can be distracting as well.
- Try to limit distractions like texting, social media, and Netflix. Study times should be only study time. I also recommend listening to instrumental music so you’re not distracted by lyrics in songs.
- Take a night off every once and a while to charge your batteries. You’ll need it later during the semester, and going out or some Netflix is good for you.
What are your best study tips to succeed in university? Leave them down below!