Since I am a history major and spend a decent amount of time in front of Netflix and watching random videos, I figured I’d share my favorite history related shows or series with you guys!
Shows That Draw on Historical Events:
- Outlander: Even though this show does revolve around historical events in Scotland, I think what makes it so compelling is the clash of old and new. I would also be in for time travel through stones too if the opportunity presented itself.
- When Calls The Heart: This show is the closest representation of what I’ve always imagined Western Canadian history playing out. It’s almost the Canadian version of Little House on the Prairie in my opinion.
- X-Company: I’m pretty sure I’ve already mentioned this show, but I love it since it mashes all my favorite history together. You’re in for a wild ride in this world of spies, WW2, and Canadian history.
- The Crown: I’ve always been interested in the British monarchy, so I was absolutely thrilled when Netflix made this show. I also enjoy the fact that Prince Philip is played by Matt Smith, so maybe the Doctor actually does protect the Queen!
- Love, Hate, and Propaganda: This multi-part CBC series explores mainly history and propaganda throughout WW1, WW2, and the Cold War. It’s fascinating to watch how much of a role propaganda plays.
- Engineering an Empire: This show is made by the folks from the History Channel, and is really good. It traces the impact of things from architecture to weapons technology and how they shaped empires from Russia to Ancient Greece.
- CrashCourse History: You can find these on YouTube, where John Green (Yes, the one who wrote TFIOS) teaches history. These episodes have saved my butt when I’ve needed a brush up on broader history, or just to inform myself.
- World War Two In Colour: You know all those boring WW2 documentaries they show in history class that are all in black and white? Here’s your solution-WW2 films restored with colour, so you learn your history the cool way.
What are your favourite series or shows that are based around historical events? Leave them down in the comments!
Buffy the Vampire Slayer was one of the first shows that really sucked me into the world of sci-fi and fantasy shows. It has a special place in my heart, and I’m hoping to one day get a Buffy cosplay put together.
Anyways, these are my top 8 reasons why I love the show:
- The 90s fashion-I love all the outfits, especially Willow’s interesting sweaters.
- The boys-whether you’re team Angel, Spike, or Riley, there’s a favorite for everyone.
- Giles-Even though he has a smaller role as a Watcher, his sarcasm and exasperation with life are great watching the show, especially now that I’m older.
- The Scoobies-I’m so glad the gang grew as the show went on, since the mix of people is awesome. I’m personally a giant fan of Willow.
- The monsters-Even though the show is mostly about vampires, the big bads and variety of monsters always makes it exciting.
- Willow and Tara’s relationship-Their healthy same sex relationship is something that rarely happens in shows, and that’s amazing. Plus they’re adorable together!
- It deals with the tough stuff-From death to breakups, Buffy presents a good example for how to deal with the hard things life throws at us. Especially since it’s from the perspective of mainly young adults, it’s very relatable.
- Buffy herself-She’s definitely one of my favorite strong female TV characters. Even though she’s got pretty admirable traits, the fact that she’s not perfect and makes mistakes makes her realistic and relatable.
I hope these reasons convince you guys to watch a few episodes! And, feel free to leave your favorite things about Buffy or favorite episodes in the comments.
This winter has been insane for the amount of good shows either getting wrapped up or coming out. The following is a list of shows you should either be watching or should keep an eye out for!
Shows finishing up:
- Sherlock: Technically it might not be finished, but if you watched the season and were disappointed by the ending as well, it’s pretty much done.
- X-Company: I’ve been watching this since it aired on CBC, and so far the beginning of season 3 has been good but slightly devastating.
- Orphan Black: The final season isn’t out until June, but after last year’s season I really want to see how it all ends!
- Sense8: This is coming out in May, but they made a Christmas special which was fantastic. I love this show so much, it’s one of my favourite things Netflix has put out.
- The 100: I haven’t started the new season that was released, but here’s hoping it’s good!
- Shadowhunters: I started this show since I hoped it would be better than the movie and now I’m just staying for Magnus. It’s such a guilty pleasure show.
- Supergirl: I watched this over holidays, haven’t caught up to the current season but it’s such a good show.
- Jane the Virgin: Again, haven’t caught up to the current episodes. I love this show since it’s telenovela style, so it’s nice to just watch an episode just to relax.
- A Series of Unfortunate Events: This show was everything I hoped for one of my favorite childhood book series. It’s not The Littlest Elf, but it’ll do.
- The OA: I started watching this out of curiosity, and two days later I finished the season. It’s such a wild ride to go through, and it leaves so many questions at the end.
- No Tomorrow: I love the premise to this show, which is what would you do if you knew you only had (x) amount of time left to live? It’s funny, great little show to watch if you need a pick me up.
- Iron Fist: Do I need more Marvel shows? Yes, always yes. I’m excited to see how this turns out since they’re almost ready to get all the Defenders together in a show.
I also might check out The Magicians, Riverdale, and Victoria if I have time!
What shows are you guy watching or looking forward to watching? Leave them in the comments!
Well, I’m going to draw the line between distraction and an actual study break on this post.
I tend to get distracted by Facebook, Instagram, etc and take mini breaks in the middle of studying. Please don’t do that, it interrupts your flow and some meme your friend tagged you in can definitely wait.
A better way that I take study breaks is by taking walks. Whether it’s just to grab coffee off campus or to admire nature, stretching your legs and fresh air helps so much with clearing out the cobwebs. Plus, if you drag your friends along, you can chat about things like campus crushes and such.
I tend to study in blocks of maximum three hours, and after those blocks, I usually take about an hour break before doing any work. That way you can get food, and watch an episode of your favourite show to destress a bit.
How do you guys take study breaks? Leave your suggestions down below!
I have so many favorite TV shows, but the current one I’m watching is Orphan Black.
There’s no easy way to describe the show, but Tatiana Maslany stars as many vastly different clones that all look like her. I mean, she plays at least seven clones (in the new season), and I swear they all are played by different people. She’s got mad acting skills, and it shows in the show.
All the other actors and characters are amazing as well, including Evelyne Brochu as Delphine, Jordan Gavaris as Felix, and Maria Doyle Kennedy as Mrs. S.
I can’t say much about the show without *major* spoilers, so I recommend all of you guys watch it. It’s a sci-fi show full of drama and action, and you’ll get really attached to at least one of the characters. The premise is that there are a bunch of people that are clones, and they are in danger from many different groups of people over the seasons. Almost every episode has a twist or two, and I can guarantee you’ll be sitting on the edge of your seat the entire time.
If you guys need a summer project, I’d binge-watch the first three seasons of the show, and then catch up on the current fourth season!
Also, if you guys have any show suggestions, please leave them in the comments!
This is a really tough question because I don’t have a favorite show, so much as favorite shows. Not to mention, I have favourite shows that I’ve liked a while, versus recent shows I’ve been obsessing over. So, I’ve made a list for each…
Shows that are longtime favourites:
- Buffy (the Vampire Slayer)
- Republic of Doyle
More recent shows I’ve been watching:
- The 100
- X Company
- Doctor Who
- Jane the Virgin
- Shadowhunters: The Mortal Instruments
- The Carrie Diaries
- Jessica Jones
There’s way more shows on my recent list, but those are some of the ones I watch pretty regularly. Also, most of them are on Netflix, but they’ve been putting out some good shows recently.
What are your favorite shows that aren’t on my list? Comment below, I might watch some of them!